There are so many wonderful layouts being created every day that inspire me. When I see a pinnable page, I make a mental note about the thing that grabs me. You’d think that I jot it down in the comments, but I suppose that’s just not how my artistic mind works. I love so many styles, but I think I don’t make notes because I want those influences to be filtered through my own style. I stopped emulating other people’s styles a long time ago and embraced my own aesthetic. Even when I do a full on lift, I make the design mine.
I did a lift recently. I was inspired by this page:
I have been pushing myself to use more patterns lately. This looked like a safe design to incorporate patterns onto a page in a style similar to my own. I liked that the title placement wasn’t obvious either. I do a lot of title work that is pretty expected. I don’t often do lifts, but this page seemed perfect making Jaimee’s newest, really feminine collab aptly named ‘Girly’ work without a lot fuss. I loved the girly feel of the kit and I didn’t want my lack of girl photos to keep me from using it!
Ta da! My lift. I really love how it turned out. James has always loved the oriental grass in our garden. He likes to weave himself in and out of it or use for cover when watching the world. He was watching birds here… I didn’t use as much white space as the original page, but you can see that one page inspired another. I love how the thread on my page follows the lines of the wind blown grasses. I also love that I was able to get this pattern paper on the page:
I managed to place a paper pieces on my layout without having the word “girl” show anywhere. I was one proud puppy figuring that out.
Here’s the ultra girly kit, you can pick up on sale for today only:
Pros to lifting pages:
- You don’t have to come up with a design or foundation ideas for a page
- Mojo not required
- If you don’t like templates, it’s a great compromise
- Speeds up your scrapping process (because less choices!)
- You can focus more on crafting story
- You can spend more time figuring out how to use that themed kit for a page off theme
- You’ll know how much room for journaling you’ll have
- You don’t have to think too much on title space and placement
- You can get a page done quickly! (mine took an hour)
- It’s any easy to push yourself out of your comfort zone
To sum up, in your scrapbook travels, no matter how awesome your eye and skills are, do a lift on occasion!